Casandra J. Orgill

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Inches

Inches are important.
Like how many inches there are between me and you.
And the inches between my rib cage and my heart.
And we won't ever forget about the inches around our waists
A Simple measurement that determines how far apart lips are and how close you come to crying every night.
 
I still remember the first time I looked down at my hands and saw the distance between the veins and my bones.
The distance from creativity to depression.
It was somewhere between inches and feet, and far from centimeters.
But we still counted in inches.
 
We measured the inches at football games
And the inches we have gained from running for home.
And There is about a thousand more inches for the gap in my head.
explaining all those lost thoughts.
 
I can feel life slipping through my fingertips by the inches.
One inch until graduation
 two more inches until college.
Three more inches until freedom.
And about 100 more inches for the ones who left us before they gained those inches.
 
I don't even want to count the inches between dreams and reality.
but, I want to know how many more inches until I will forget.
 
There are inches between Paris and Utah,
between me and god
and between smoke and beauty
 
but all I really care about is the inches between life and death.
Those are my inches.
 



8 comments:

  1. Such a brilliant idea. "I don't even want to count the inches between dreams and reality.
    but, I want to know how many more inches until I will forget."
    amazing. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many thoughts running around my head right now. I love this so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inches between smoke and beauty. #stolen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah. This post literally hit me so deep.

    ReplyDelete